Hi!  Me again.  I just thought of a couple things. There are a couple of
annoyances that you should note when working with RedHat Linux as well.

EGCS
A few versions of RedHat still use the EGCS C/C++ compiler.  This is BAD.  Do
not use EGCS, replace it with GCC 2.95.2 or GCC 2.95.3, before you compile
anything, unless you enjoy pain and suffering.  Don't use the GCC 3.0 series,
they have a faulty STL implementation.   EGCS was a experimental compiler
that has been discontinued and remerged back in GCC.

Dependancies on X
A lot of RedHat software is compiled against the X software libraries, so if
you are not in X and try to run certain scripts or binaries, e.g. shutdown,
it may fail.  At least, it did on one version of RedHat I tested, they may
have corrected it since then.

Other versions of Linux allow these to be run either at the command line or
from X.

Data density of the Hard disk
By default, RedHat takes the highest data density (4kB), a.k.a. "block size,"
when creating a filesystem.  This results in 1-3kB of wasted space for every
file below 4 kB.  RedHat isn't the only one, Debian does as well.  If you
have lots of logs or small files, you might want to consider formatting the
drive manually to a 1kB block size.

On the flipside, Windows 95, and 98 can use as large as a 32kB block --
meaning 31kB is wasted on a 1kB file.  Newer versions of Windows can use
NTFS, which is supposedly more efficient.

Package Management
Unless you are in X, RedHat's package system (RPM based) can only be accessed
via "rpm" on the command line.  To my knowledge, there is no text based GUI
for RedHat package management and automation.

In other words, if you dont use X, be prepared to install packages, by hand,
one by one - including dependancies solving.

Laters,
T.J.