Some caveats when working with Linux on a dual boot system with Windows:

Assuming multpile partitions on a sigle drive
1. Windows must always have the first partition on the first drive.  It will
refuse to operate properly if it does not.

2.  If you use LILO, you had better know how to properly configure your MBR
(Master Boot Record), or I can guarantee you will have problems.

3. The LILO boot records/files MUST be within the first 4-8 GB of the drive's
cylinders or LILO booting WILL fail. This depends on your BIOS embedded in
the motherboard.  This is a design flaw in LILO, because it depends on BIOS
for the IDE drive geometry during the boot staging.  The BIOS, of course, is
reverse compatible with previous MS products that can't handle complex IDE
geometry - so the files have to to be within that limit in order to be
located by LILO.

4.  The safest way (minus a boot disk) is to boot a dual system is to use
LOADLIN, if possible.

If you put Linux on a separate drive, it is a lot easier, but most of us
don't have that luxury.

LILO is used most often if Linux is the only OS present, or by extremely
experienced users who know the ins and outs of IDE/SCSI hard disks.  I use
LOADLIN because it is reliable, and doesn't react badly to changes in BIOS
and IDE geometry, unlike LILO.

T.J. Duchene