I've used it a little.

getInputStream and getOutputStream get stdout and stdin, respectively,
which always seems a little bit backward to me ( just the naming, not
the direction ).

You can read the data that comes in on the stream and put it somewhere
useful.  I've often wished for a InputStreamToOutputStreamBridge, but
as far as I know, you have to do it yourself.

Hope this answered the question you asked.

Bill