On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Sunny wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:39 PM, J Cruit <j at packetgod.com> wrote:
>
>> So he wants FreeBSD to restrict and close off the system to limit what
>> people can do with it?  Umm.. what?
>>
>> I guess that is perhaps the difference between free and open?
>
> He does not want anything. He just says, that he himself can not promote
> FreeBSD because their decision contradicts with his ideas.
>
> So, I do not see it as restriction. You most probably would not promote
> eating raw meet, but it does not restrict me in any way to order rare
> done stake. :)

Taking that analogy a step farther -- Suppose you had a friend who wanted
to promote vegetarian food, and your friend owned a restaurant.  You went
to your friend's restaurant and saw that he had steak on the menu.  So you
told your friend, "I'm sorry that I cannot recommend your restaurant to
people because I am trying to promote vegetarianism and your menu has
steak on it!"  Your friend thinks it is important to give people options.
So you continue -- "Look, I don't mind if you serve steak, just take it
off of the menu so that most people will order veggie dishes."

In the analogy, the restaurant is FreeBSD, the menu is the ports system,
the steak is a proprietary program and the veggie dishes are FOSS
programs.

Mike