I work for a college that has a a few video editing suites which are Macs and PCs, a production studio with a graphics generator and a Leightronix Nexus video server. The vid server has a large disk for storing video clips wich are uploaded either via some client software installed on a networked PC or I belive it has an ftp server as well.
   The delema we have is since video files are quite large 10-40 gigs a piece it would be nice to move these files to a central file server via the network. I generally wouldent have a prolbem doing this however the IT dept is less than coperative in providing us any solution at all. So I was wondering how I could set up a file server on the network without broadcasting it to the IT folks. I was starting down the path of building a vm on a large usb disk and hanging it off of one of our office pcs but the Macs, PC's and the video server are all on differnt VLANS, and thats where I hit the brick wall. Any suggestions? short of turning it into a sneakernet.

Jesse