Could you be more specific about what this cron job will do?

I would generally recommend Python (or Bash) for cron jobs that perform
system administration tasks. But if you already have Java knowledge in
your group or need to integrate tightly with existing Java-based
infrastructure, then of course maybe Java is the stronger choice. Java
and cron play nice together... no problems there that I can think of.

Also consider, when making your decision on which language to use: it's
easy to run a system command (like "find", "grep", etc) in Python,
collect the output, process it, etc. In Java, calling out to system
commands is bad form... "pure Java" (or Java+JNI) is the way most folks
prefer it would be done, IMHO. Another example: pure Java can't
manipulate UNIX signals.