Yesterday, John Gateley wrote:
> What's the best IDE for linux?

I'd recommend the Eclipse CDT. The CDT has its warts like any other
software, but it is feature rich and very mature. It can't hurt that it
is Open Source Software. Eclipse has been under heavy development for
many years.

I use Vim for all text editing tasks, but I really like Eclipse for
reliable code completion (aka "intellisense") and the ability to quickly
navigate and refactor large software projects. It's worth riding the
learning curve when you end up with such an easy way to read and
maintain code.

> Anyone using these in their daily work? Any comments?

I don't use the Eclipse CDT for my daily work, only for a few projects
for school. It worked quite well last time I tried it, although I
eventually gave up on the "managed" build and used hand-written
makefiles instead. Fortunately, the CDT is quite flexible when it comes
to building, so using your own makefiles is easy.

I *do* use Eclipse for daily Java development. Navigation, code
completion, refactoring, SCM integration, debugging, etc. work similarly
to the CDT.

I'm not really sure what if anything is offtopic for the TCLUG list, but
shall we migrate this topic to the devel list?