"Mike Bresnahan" <mbresnah at visi.com>  wrote:
> Is there a high resolution timer C API on Linux?  If so, what is it's
> name?  I need a timer that will give me time with a precision better
> than seconds, e.g. milliseconds.  I'm looking for a C function
> equivalent to the Java function System.currentTimeMillis() and the
> Win32 functions QueryPerformanceCounter() and
> QueryPerformanceFrequency.

Hmm, found getitimer(2) and setitimer(2) that give microseconds.
glutTimerFunc(3glut) from the glut development package is a callback
function whose resolution is in milliseconds.  There's usleep(3) and
nanosleep(2) for micro and nanosecond sleep calls.  Nanosleep's BUGS
section reads as such:

BUGS
       The  current  implementation  of nanosleep is based on the normal
       kernel timer mechanism, which has a resolution  of  1/HZ s  (i.e,
       10 ms   on  Linux/i386  and  1 ms  on  Linux/Alpha).   Therefore,
       nanosleep pauses always for at least the specified time,  however
       it  can  take up to 10 ms longer than specified until the process
       becomes runnable again. For the same reason, the  value  returned
       in  case  of a delivered signal in *rem is usually rounded to the
       next larger multiple of 1/HZ s.

       As some applications require much more precise pauses  (e.g.,  in
       order  to control some time-critical hardware), nanosleep is also
       capable of short high-precision pauses. If the process is  sched­
       uled  under  a real-time policy like SCHED_FIFO or SCHED_RR, then
       pauses of up to  2 ms  will  be  performed  as  busy  waits  with
       microsecond precision.

The nanosleep(2) function is related to sched_setscheduler(2) function,
and both are found, obviously, in the Linux Programmer's Manual or
section 2 of your man pages.

These are all found in the man pages, though you may not have the "Linux
Programmer's Manual", or section 2 in your repository.  I'm sure a
google search would be profitable, too.
--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie