Bob,

If you find the answer, please share.

I avoid the issue mostly by using Perl and
Perl/Tk (on win32 and unix) and deal with
the associated baggage, but it is nice to
have other options.

Troy

>>> Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com> 11/12/02 12:27PM >>>
I'm a team member of several open source projects which originally
where linux
only. "Porting" them to other unix-list operating system was pretty
easy.

Now the win32 people are coming on board and there is much angst
between 'nix
developers and the win32 developers.

1 project, the code base forked. Poor suckers like me, are left
integrating
win32 features/bug fixes/etc back into the 'nix code. Which is not
perfect
solution but works.

Another project foked as well, but no attempt has been made to merge
feaures/fixes/etc back into each tree. So, there is major duplication
of effort
on both code bases. This sucks, imho.

The salvo of insults goes.

Fire: We are linux developers, why would we develop for Win32 platform?

Return fire: Win32 controls 98%(?) of desktop. Want users, need Win32
port.

Talking to the more rational developers (in both camps). It really
boils down to
editors(!!!). Ok, development environment. Linux people can't stand
MS/GUI/IDE
stuff and the Win32 guys can't stand vim/emacs/make/CLI stuff.

To solve the Win32 problem, I have these developers install cygwin and
all it's
tools. Not perfect, but it "enforces" coding that makes porting back to
Linux
easier. Plus the Win32 guys get to keep their devel environment.

QUESTION

Is there a way to go the other way?

Can I generate Win32 (cygwin) executables under on my linux box in my
linux
development environment?

I looked at gcc cross-compiling, but couldn't figure out how to
generate Win32
bins. I've done this for i386->Sparc, but the same technique doesn't
work for
Win32.

Any ideas?