To turn off keyword expansion for an update, etc, use the -kk option, so
cvs update -kk.  However, my guess is that you want *.diff or whatever to
always have keyword expansion supressed.  In that case, you need to
checkout the CVSROOT/cvswrappers as the repository administrator and add a
line like this:

*.diff	-kk

Now, on to my next question, why are you keeping patches in cvs?  Since
cvs can generate diffs which you can use to make patches, keeping patches
themselves seems redundant.  Normally, you would checkout the source,
apply the patch, and checkin the modified code.  The only exception that I
have seen to this is the [FNO]BSD ports where there are BSD specific
patches to the source which need to be maintained in the ports cvs because
they are from the BSD teams, not from the original author.

-Chris McKinley
finger lamfada at lugh.net for GPG key