On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 12:02:25PM -0600, Randy McLaughlin wrote:

> Thanks.  That's an interesting idea.  I tend to think in terms of
> separating the executable rights and the source code rights.  I have no
> problem with transferring all rights to the executable to the client, and
> I'm ok with granting a non-exclusive, perpetual right to use the source
> however they wish but I'd like to retain the right to reuse the generic
> parts of the source (without disclosing proprietary information) and to
> contribute that code to projects so that I am contributing to a larger body
> of shared code.  If I, for example, write an interface to another software
> package, I'd hate to have to wait 6 months before I could use it in another
> project.  It's so inefficient!

What I've done before is put those segments that are genericly reusable
into my own library that is under something resembling the GPL, basicly
they pay for their program which links in parts of my library. I own
the library, they own their application.

A similar situation would be writing an application that supports
gzip, the customer obviously doesn't get any rights over the zlib
libraries, but they do benefit from it.

--
http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix                  GPG public key 0x01938203