I new a guy who was doing just that, but it looks like his project hasn't
gone anywhere since talking with him last.  You can still check it out if
you like:
http://www.pierlou.com/visxml/

Otherwise, this site seems to contain a few free/open source XML links:
http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/xmltools/

-David