On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 22:57, Bob Tanner wrote:
> Quoting Mike Bresnahan (mbresnah at visi.com):
> > I'm writing a Java application that needs to know what environment variable
> > is used to locate dynamic/shared libraries on multiple OSs.  I know Linux
> > and Solaris use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, HPUX uses SHLIB_PATH, and Windows uses
> > PATH.  What does AIX use?  SGI's UNIX?  Others?  Is LD_LIBRARY_PATH defined
>
> I've had  LD_LIBRARY_PATH work under AIX, HPUX, SCO.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH works under AIX 3.0.4.  On HPUX 11+, LD_LIBRARY_PATH
also works because they moved to an ELF based system from their own
object file format.  And, of course, under Solaris and Linux (which are
both ELF based systems) LD_LIBRARY_PATH works.

Some of the other more esoteric ELF variables, like LD_PRELOAD, may not
be supported under HPUX 11+ or AIX.

At the company I work for, we port to all three major Unixes (but not
Linux yet, sadly) and Windows NT.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they
be properly armed.  -- Alexander Hamilton
-- Eric Hopper (hopper at omnifarious.org
http://www.omnifarious.org/~hopper) --