> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 07:17:51 -0600
> From: Tom Howard <asmntbuilder at earthlink.net>
> To: tclug-devel at mn-linux.org
> Subject: [TCLUG-DEVEL] Request for assistance for a beginner
>
> I'm just getting started w/Linux and am having no luck trying to
> configure my computer to hook up to the internet.  I'm running Red Hat &
> other versions, and jockeying two modems around trying to find a
> connection.     I can bring my computer to someone in the Twin Cities
> area, if there is someone from whom I could purchase some basic
> technical assistance.  Thanks, Tom

If I may make a suggestion on that score.  For new users, the best dial-up
PPP utility I know of under RedHat (depending on the version)  is wvdial.
Assuming your system's modem is not a "win-modem" and you have PPP support
enabled, wvdial w/ the autoconfigure option will automatically detect and
setup modem based on user responses.  If you want me to walk you through the
process, drop me a note at linuxman at worldwebcafe.com.

Granted, RedHat 6.2 is rather primitive compared to Debian or Mandrake.  I
would suggest that if this is your very first experience with Linux, and you
are not going to run a server, try Mandrake 8.2.  With Mandrake 8.2,
however, you want to make sure that you disable the IDEA cryptography
modules in KDE, as they are illegal to use in the US without a user license
from the patent holder.  But that's no big deal, I can help you with that if
you go that route.

Mandrake will also configure your dialer for you during the install process,
by prompting you for the number, etc, as well as autodetect your modem.

If you are going to run a server, the best hands down, as far as Linux goes,
is probably Debian (no flames please) because of its package management, and
4000+ precompiled packages available in the base set.  Debian is also famous
for being really stable, although the really new desktop apps require
updated libs - hence the reason I say its good for servers where none of
those are run - as Debian is late in releasing a new set.

Best Regards,
T.J.