Generally speaking, the preferred method is to install the other OS first (in
this case Win2k) and then install Linux.

If you are using a single hard disk, you will need to partition it before you
load any OS.  DOS fdisk works.  Check the net for your favorite partitioning
software.  Partition magic may be of interest to you if you don't want to
reinstall win2k.  Be sure to allow 3GB or more for Linux.

1.  Create boot partition (20 MB).  This allows the boot loader to be located
withing the first 1024 cylinders of hard disk.  Very important.
2.  Create other OS partition (??? GB).
3.  Create partition for Linux (3GB +).  Don't worry about the format for this
partition yet.
4.  Reboot, then install 1st OS.
5.  Reboot, install Linux.  When it comes to the disk partitioning part, you'll
need to delete the partition you created for linux in step 3 above, then add the
linux partitions and swap space as desired.

Otherwise, get yourself another hard disk.  Attach your new hard disk to the
primary IDE interface as the slave disk.  (This translates to /dev/hdb).
Install linux on your new hard disk.

That should get you going.

Jerry G.