er... sorry bout the url... try http://www.uncontrolled.org/flog/

thanks
benb at uncontrolled.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Breuninger
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 5:04 PM
To: 'tclug-devel at mn-linux.org'
Subject: real-time file monitoring at the kernel level

Hello,
I'm looking for some help in the area of real-time file monitoring at the kernel level, and was wondering if someone would be able to help with my idea, or at least point me to a patch which is equivalent to what im looking for. My idea is further explained at http://flog.uncontrolled.org/.
In a nutshell tho, basically im looking to modify the linux kernel and have a file descriptor in /proc which could be tail -f'd and see any read,write,access, or deletion of files, who did it and what time, in real time. I dont know how hard or easy this would be.

If you can offer any support in doing this, or know of elsewhere someone already has done this, please email me.

Thank you,
benb at uncontrolled.org