This months PenguinsUnbound.com meeting will be
Saturday July 28th at TIES,
1667 Snelling Ave. N., St. Paul, MN 55108
from 10:00am to 12:00pm
(See the web site http://www.penguinsunbound.com for directions and more
info.)

*** Note, change in meeting room. We will be meeting in the Grand Hall
over the garage. You will need to go in the usual door (Under the sky
way on the west side of the building, and the take the stairs or
elevator to the second floor and then go through the walk way over above
the parking garage. ***

Samba/CIFS preseented by Christopher R. Hertel

Samba is twenty years old.  You'd think we'd all have given up and
gone home by now, but here we are still slogging away.  In those 20
years, Samba has matured from a rebel upstart to an accepted standard
implementation to a forgotten piece of infrastructure.

More recently, a lot of fancy new network filesystems have popped up.
Things like Gluster and Ceph and "cloud storage" in general promise to
solve big data storage problems, access issues, and world hunger all in
one go. How will a vintage protocol like SMB/CIFS keep up?

Is Samba even relevant any more?

Well, yes.  Yes, it is.

This talk will gloss over the following topics in general terms vague enough
that even the layman will want to ask obtuse questions:
   * Microsoft's latest SMB version: SMB3
   * Samba/CTDB clustering and other weird things Samba can mostly do now
   * Whither POSIX semantics and NFSv4+
   * How a Samba geek wound up with a two year contract from Microsoft

Chris Hertel is a long-haul member of the Samba Team (14+ years) who
actually lives in Saint Paul.  He is author of the book "Implementing
CIFS" and (surprisingly) lead author of Microsoft's official SMB/CIFS
protocol specifications.  He currently does stuff for Red Hat.

I hope to see you there!

==>brian.

*** STREAMING ***
If you can't make it you can use this url to stream the meeting.
mms://rss2000.video.ties2.net:1800

You should be able to connect with either:
mplayer mms://rss2000.video.ties2.net:1800
or
vlc http://rss2000.video.ties2.net:1800